Spray Foam Insulation

Why insurers are asking consumers to cover their foam insulation.

The National Building Code of Canada specifies that Polyurethane Foam Insulation (PUFI) or foam plastic insulation must be protected by a thermal barrier in combustible construction other than in concealed spaces (i.e. attic, roof spaces or crawl spaces). Kings Mutual's acceptable thermal barriers include: a minimum of half inch plaster, gypsum board, plywood, hardboard, insulating fiberboard, particle board, Oriented Strand Board (OSB) wafer board or a spray-on cementitious fire retardant coating.

As shown, intumescent coverings can crack and peel and are not acceptable for Kings Mutual.

As it is expensive to add a thermal barrier, installers often leave it up to the homeowner to install the required thermal barrier. Many property owners are unaware of the need for a thermal barrier and invoices from insulation contractors will often have a disclaimer printed on them stating that the client understands that a thermal barrier needs to be provided.

If it is not covered, or the covering is damaged, the off gassing is toxic to the occupants in the event of a fire. Please protect your foam insulation and help us to keep you and your families safe.

If you have any questions or concerns, please give us a call or contact your broker.

Get in touch.

We make it easy for you to get the help you need.

Contact Us Find a Broker